In the early 1930's, Charlton C. Howard established Howard Lumber Company on Sunset Boulevard in Augusta, Georgia.
After some years, the firm moved to its former location at 1900 Milledgeville Road. This property was originally the site of Georgia Hardwood Lumber Company, and was operated by Owen Cheatham and Eugene Howard. Georgia Hardwood later became Georgia Pacific Corporation, now a world-wide concern.
In March of 1946, Howard Lumber Company was purchased by W. B. Badger, J. W. Carson, and Austin Kilham. The Badger and Carson families managed the business for forty years. W. J. (Billy) Badger is currently the owner.
In late 1985, the present location opened at 475 Columbia Industrial Boulevard in Evans, Georgia and is now the corporate headquarters of all operations. This facility is designed to be one of the most efficient building supply operations around. The company distributes a full line of lumber, millwork, building materials, brick, concrete block, concrete and plastic pipe and hardware.
Howard Lumber Company has demonstrated its community spirit through its donations, including those to the Salvation Army, Junior Achievement, Habitat for Humanity, Augusta Museum of History, Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America and several local schools.
The employees of Howard Lumber Company are civic minded. Many employees are active in local churches, service clubs, and local and state chamber of commerce and trade associations. Many employees have been with the company more than twenty years.
Howard Lumber Company is a voting member of the Construction Suppliers Association of Georgia and is a participating member of the Metro Augusta Home Builders Association. Company officers are: W. J. (Billy) Badger, President and Treasurer; Phillip Stroud, Secretary.
In 1996, we proudly celebrated the 50th Anniversary of our current corporation.